Over this spring and summer, I have spent time exploring what it means to be responsible for my own joy. I learned that no matter what happens in life, I can control how I feel about the situation. I learned to prioritize. Like a sharp picture, I’m putting focus into my life, while striving to do so without harming the lives of others. For my birthday, I share with you my latest life lessons.
(Photo by Tammy Hui)
– Challenge yourself to do the hard things. Learn the skills you wish you had. Make sacrifices. Let go of grudges and other poisonous feelings. Face your fears. None of that is easy – life isn’t easy – so the more often you do the hard things, the more you’ll truly live.
– Live life with mission. My mission for Shang Chen Photography this year, beyond providing awesome wedding photography, was to show people the extraordinary beauty in everyday life. Love is beautiful – and when I choose to see that, see the emotion, the other material things fade away with time and don’t end up mattering so much
(photo by Amy Bao)
– You CAN be in control of your emotions. It’s hard to implement it. However, I realized that it was about time I gave myself permission to feel loved, happy, beautiful, lucky, and successful. Why not? It feels awesome.
(photo by Amie Fedora)
– Gandhi had it right – be the change you wish to see in the world
– Stay true. I’ve often asked whether the person I am is who I should be, or whether I need to change myself. It’s so easy to compare, compete against, and try to time my life by other people’s yardsticks, when I should live it with the gladness and empowerment that comes from having been loved first by the Only One who matters.
(Photo by Karman Lee)
My birthday wish? If my photography has ever touched you, made you feel something, inspired you, take that feeling today and make it happen for someone else, in your special way.
enjoyed this blog? make me smile and follow me on Facebook for my latest work
Shang Chen Photography has rebranded to Saavedra Photography
she takes photographs of celebrations of love and life
Based in NYC | Open for select photography commissions on Sundays only